Name: Tammy Lomond
Title: Director of Nutrition and Professional Services
Company: mijava Corporation of Canada
Years worked in current role: under 1 year
Years of experience in food industry: 12
In 300 characters or less describe your job:
My position with mijava involves two roles. 1). I help develop and manage menus for healthcare organizations including long-term care and hospitals, as well as childcare facilities. I also provide menu reviews and recommendations to meet any required ministry standards. 2). I provide online nutrition health coaching to individuals and families.
What are the top 3 characteristics you need to be good at your job:
- Attention to Detail: Healthcare menus, especially long-term care menus, can be complex and there are many standards that must be met. Creating and revising menus that are appealing, meet all required standards and fall within a cost allowance, is like putting together big puzzle!
- Communication: In nutrition coaching, the ability to communicate nutrition messages clearly, in a simple and realistic format, is very important in helping clients realize their nutrition goals.
- Discipline: This job is 100% home-based. You must have discipline to keep yourself focused and motivated while working at home.
Why did you decide to pursue a career in food?
I was always interested in the health field and eating healthy, and nutrition is something that affects everyone. I enjoy keeping things simple and real and showing clients how easy it can be to eat healthy.
Top 3 advice tips for students and new grads coming into the industry –
- Be open to opportunities. You never know who may become your next employer or client.
- Network. There are many food related jobs that you won’t find posted on job banks.
- Always be professional.
Tell us why your Food Job Rocks?
I work with a great team.
I work in 2 areas of nutrition that I enjoy – menu planning and nutrition coaching.
I love the flexibility and autonomy of working from home.
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving. – Albert Einstein
Join us! Please send an email to Nicole@foodgrads.com and we’ll send you the questions OR go here for the questions, and just email your answers to us. Would you rather be interviewed? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and speak with Adam Yee!
Let’s encourage and inspire a new generation of food industry professionals!