Name: Jessica Taylor
Title: Sr. Analyst – Food & Food Systems
Company: Bioenterprise Corporation
Years worked in current role: 1 year
Years of experience in food industry: 3 years
In 300 characters or less describe your job:
I work with early-stage food companies to provide business advisory services to help them commercialize products in local and global markets. I work as a conduit, facilitating connections between service providers, academic and early-stage to multinational companies to enhance innovation in the food sector.
What are the top 3 characteristics you need to be good at your job:
- Personable: constantly interacting with people in-person, on the phone and via email
- Organized: the ability to multitask and juggle multiple clients and projects at one time
- Autonomous: the motivation to create new projects and relationships and move existing activities forward
Why did you decide to pursue a career in food?
I wanted to pursue a career that would combine my desire to help people and interest in business and entrepreneurship. The food industry, and this role in particular, are a perfect fit allowing me to help entrepreneurs launch innovative food products and consumers to have a reliable, healthy food system.
Top 3 advice tips for students and new grads coming into the industry –
- Network: you never know who somebody knows
- Don’t be afraid to ask: whether you’re looking for a new opportunity or not sure what something means, always ask whoever will listen.
- Buy coffee: when you are new to the industry (and even after some experience), reach out to others and schedule coffee meetings to learn about their role in the industry. These connections will come in handy when least expected.
Tell us why your Food Job Rocks?
#MyFoodJobRocks because I get to see new innovations on daily basis and work with individuals and organizations across the industry.
Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
Let’s encourage and inspire a new generation of food industry professionals!