Name: Phillip Pavlov
Title: Sr. Product Manager CPD
Company: McCormick Canada
Years worked in current role: Under 1 year
Years of experience in food industry: 16 years
In 300 characters or less describe your job:
I work as a Senior Product Manager for McCormick Canada in charge of Honey & Baking categories in Retail.
What are the top 3 characteristics you need to be good at your job:
- Analytics (consumer, customer, financial, etc.)
- Strategy (business, marketing, sales, etc.)
- Presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
Why did you decide to pursue a career in food?
Food is something people will always need. It provides a certain sense of stability for me, but also a great way to change peoples’ lives for the better.
Top 3 advice tips for students and new grads coming into the industry –
- Be open to start at a junior level – you will grow if you are good
- Be flexible. Learn various aspects be it customer service, sales, merchandising, etc. It will all come handy, so do not be fixated on just one thing
- Make sure you are passionate about what you do – this will surely help you deliver better results than the rest (and you also will be happy coming to work every day)
Tell us why your Food Job Rocks?
- Great people at my company
- My boss who gives me the freedom and the autonomy to succeed
- Great brands I work with like Billy Bee (Honey)
To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success (Henry Heinz)
Let’s encourage and inspire a new generation of food industry professionals!