The ladies and I started our road trip a few months ago now. We have visited colleges and universities as well as some organizations who make our food.
Its been a learning experience for all. Chelsey (our Social Media Lead) is the go-to camera woman and photographer. Two skills that she is teaching herself by researching, asking questions and practical experience–in other words–sink or swim!
Isabel and I are the interviewers. Isabel has experience addressing groups of people and moderating panels so this comes quite easily to her. She’s a natural in front of the camera. She makes it look easy. It’s not.
My background is different and so all of this is new to me. I don’t love being in front of the camera, I’m more of a behind the camera type of gal, but duty called and I answered .
(Well truth be told, I tried to steal Chelsey’s job so she would have to do the interviews….but that plan failed).
Taste Your Future + FoodGrads Road Trip!
So here we are. A few months and videos in. What can I say, its been fun! Tons of interesting stories, places and people.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this industry attracts some of the kindest, most generous people I have met in my life. I have this theory that if you are in any way part of the Food & Beverage industry–at some basic level–you are nurturing because you have an interest in feeding people.
In my opinion this means you are one of the most valuable people on the planet.
We are far from at the end of this trip, and if all goes well we will be travelling further from home, visiting other provinces working our magic to put a spotlight on the people and professions in Food & Beverage.
My highlight so far, was meeting a fellow Brit at Griffith Foods. Bryan made my role of interviewer so easy. He loves his job. It’s that simple. The information came pouring out, the passion for why he started working in this industry and how he got to where he is today.
Most importantly, what came through was his desire to share this with me–and ultimately–the next generation. It was clear that he wants to inspire people to follow in his footsteps as the work he does is rewarding and important. Food is important!
What do I know about the food industry?
- I know that its worth a good look if you are undecided about what to do with your life.
- I know there are tons of options for any skill level and education–let’s face it–everyone has an interest in food and drink because we all like it and need to eat and drink to stay alive!
- When you consider Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, ‘physiological needs’ are the largest group of basic needs we have as human beings. Made up of food, water, warmth and rest–if I were thinking about a career in a rapidly changing, ever evolving world today–I would choose an industry that there will always be a human need. Therefore, I know that the food industry is a safe bet.
- There is so much work to be done in this industry. If you are looking for a way to make an impact through your work and aspire to change the world, start with food. Feeding people, cutting food waste, environmental footprint, sustainability, nutrition because we know that food is medicine and main factor to a holistic approach to optimum health. The work to be done is endless and the most meaningful.
- I know that you will work with some of the most passionate, thoughtful people on the planet. Its the people who grow, make and sell our food who are the game changers.
So, let’s be more open to understanding their work, encourage more people to follow in their foot steps and celebrate the good work they do to bring food and drinks to our table. Why? Because its THAT important.
That’s what I know!
Author: Nicole Gallace
Check out the Taste Your Future YouTube channel for all the videos!
Do you want to be part of our mission? Please email me and we can set up a time to visit you.
What is our mission? Visit www.tasteyourfutureandfoodgrads.com
Join FoodGrads to create a FREE profile and ‘get found’ and apply to jobs in Food & Beverage!
Do you want to post entry level, internships, coops, summer jobs to an engaged niche community of food minded students & grads? Become a member today!